Thursday, December 15, 2005

Terms and a neutral point of view

Ultimate Wiktionary wants to be open, wellcoming to all communities and.. yes, I was human, so I was convinced that Term was a better term. However, it is one of those words with multiple meanings and particularly in the worlds of terminology, lexicology and thesauri. After some discussion we came to the conclusion that this is not the right word to describe what we mean, and also that it is not really neutral. So, a new word was agreed upon: LexicalItem.

There are some more changes that we decided on in Berlin; the
Label table contains attributes and also the name Attribute is less confusing. It is also necessary to include some more intelligence; this means that it must be possible to group the attributes.

There are loads of things that I have learned that I am still internalising. When I have that there will be several other changes.

Oh, the great news is that many of these changes are inspired by the great people that I met In Berlin.. It will make Ultimate Wiktionary more relevant to the science types .. :)

Thanks,
GerardM

No comments: